If you've come here looking for my taphophile and graveyard posts, they can now be found at my new blog, Beneath Thy Feet. Hope to see you there.

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Taphophile Tragics - We Shall Not All Sleep




Taphophilia is a passion for and enjoyment of cemeteries. The singular term is a taphophile.



Monument to Louisa Cannon, St James the Less Churchyard, Stubbings, Burchetts Green, Maidenhead Berkshire.


"Sacred to the memory of Louisa Cannon Who died May 14th 1868 in the 17th year of her age.

~ We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be cherished ~"


Louisa was born in 1851 to Henry Cannon, a basket maker and his wife Ann. They lived in an area known as Maidenhead Thicket, once a haunt of highway men and a rumoured stop off point of Dick Turpin.

Sadly Louisa passed away at the age of 17 on 14th May 1868. Her gravestone, covered in algae, rests in a small village churchyard not far from where she and her family used to live. A young life cut tragically short.



For more Taphophile Tragic posts, please stop by Taphophile Tragics Blog.

10 comments:

  1. A contrast to the life of Lady Docker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sad time for her parents. Such a short life. I wonder if a highwayman had anything to do with it.

    When I clicked on your name in my comments list it took me to a different site not your profile??? It is called "Blogspot.com" sponsored listings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though this young life passed away so long ago, the story touches the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you always take some time to find out a bit of the history behind these gravestones. It really makes seeing the stone more interesting. I also like the name Louisa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An amazing photograph (again!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a lot os space below her name - I wonder if they were expecting to have to add to it with other children?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does look rather like a half filled page doesn't it? Nice shaped stone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As well as commenting on each of the Taphophile Tragics contributions this morning,I have also been updating people on my family tree within Ancestry.com.

    One of the entries on which I made progress was that of A;c Maud Cannon born in 1876 in Yarmouth, Norfolk. Miles away, I realise, both geographically, and lineage-wise. However, the coincidence brought a smile.

    I do like the algae as it slithers up/down her marker, and agree with the others that perhaps, given the times, they were readying themselves to lose other offspring.

    Ooo any link with Dick Turpin would be delicious ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cut of the stone on the top is pleasingly feminine. Nice for a basket weaver. Gone too soon, though.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...